Know Your Blood
Some Interesting Facts About Blood
- It is a red colored, viscous liquid, which flows in the blood vessels throughout the body.
- Blood plays two vital roles: it transports nutrients within the entire body and it acts as our body's major defense mechanism against infection.
- An average adult has about 5 liters of blood in the body.
- There is no substitute for human blood.
- Blood makes up about 7 to 8% of your body's weight.
- Blood carries carbon dioxide and other waste products back to the lungs, kidneys and liver for disposal.
- helps heal wounds.
- Plasma, which constitutes 55% of blood fluid, is mostly water (92% by volume).
- When you donate blood, your body immediately starts replacing the quantity donated. That way you are fit to donate blood as often as 6 times a year.
Blood Components is made up of two things
- Cellular Components
Cellular Components are further classified as Red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells and Platelets.